Did you vote for this? Are you even aware of it? It was barely covered in the news.
If you want to help STOP this new tax, come to Milton Township’s Special Township Board Meeting
- Tuesday, June 15th, 2021
- 6:15 P.M.
- Board Room, Milton Township Hall
- 1492 N. Main Street, Wheaton, Illinois 60187
A NEW TAX was on the Milton Township April 6 Ballot:
“Shall Milton Township establish and maintain community mental health facilities and services including services for the person with a developmental disability or substance disorder and levy, therefore, an annual tax of not to exceed .15%?”
A flyer that was distributed prior to the election gave the following reasons to vote “NO”:
Oppose the Township Tax Increase of over 350%
VOTE NO on Milton Township Referendum
UNFAIR and DUPLICATIVE.
Eleven Reasons Why Milton Township Residents Should Reject this Referendum
REFERENDUM Question: Shall Milton Township establish and maintain community mental health facilities and services including services for the person with a developmental disability or substance disorder and levy therefore an annual tax of not to exceed .15%?
WHAT DOES THIS MEAN FOR YOU?
- The current Milton Township tax rate is .0408, this new tax can be as high as .15, over 3.5 times greater than the current rate!
- The money will be wasted on overhead and accounting as the Township will only act as a pass through for mental health services. There is no expertise at the Township level for this service.
- Mental health services are the responsibility of the State and County.
- Taxpayers built a state-of-the-art mental health facility just five years ago in the heart of Milton Township at the County complex. NAMI DuPage does a great job helping people with mental health issues. This is unneeded at the Township level.
- Over 70% on Milton residents have PRIVATE insurance to access mental health services and other residents already have access to services through the county and state programs.
- This referendum is only for mental health. Not for any other services for addiction or the developmentally disabled. Do not be misled by the wording of the referendum.
- Once this line is added to your property tax bill, it will never come off.
- We already have the SECOND highest property taxes in the nation and the highest overall tax burden. Taxes are depressing home values and driving residents out of the state.
- We have too much government in Illinois already. This referendum creates an entirely new government board with taxing authority. Illinois already has the highest number of government entities in the nation with over 7000. The next closest is Texas with over 5000.
- State Reps and Senators need to step up! The Democrat Township Slate fully endorses this tax increase. Meanwhile, their party refuses to fund mental health at the state level. Do not give them more power. Do not grow unfair duplicative government.
- This referendum was a Democrat initiative. And they are not being truthful about how much it will cost taxpayers. You might hear an estimate of charging an owner of a $400,000 home only $50. The referendum authorizes them to charge 4X as much. The flyer on the topic suggests such misinformation.
I had snagged the “detail” file from the real-time reporting page a couple times. These figures come from the tab for the Milton Referendum question on three separate dates. Notice, this question lost on election-day, but two weeks later after all the late arriving vote-by-mail ballots were counted, and only 20% of the registered voters weighing in, the “yes” side had won by 237 votes.
- Yes 8,543 (10.1% of the registered voters)
- No 8,306 (9.8% of the registered voters)
So 10.1% of the registered voters voted for a NEW taxing body, and 100% of the property owners will be subject to paying it.
If you want to volunteer to be on the Milton Mental Health Board contact Milton township A.S.A.P https://miltontownship.net/
If you have an opinion on If/how-much tax should be levied before they have a plan, come to the meeting and speak up. The referendum set a maximum that can be levied, there is no minimum. Yes, they can legally levy $0.00 Your voice will matter.