I will be voting “NO” despite the fact that everyone (me included) would like to say “yes” to a new Jefferson Early Childhood Center…
District 200 cannot afford a new building without issuing new debt that will let them spend today while taxing tomorrow. The latest 5-year forecast, which does includes a new building, shows a $26 million deficit. In recent years, the end-of-May financial report shows that prior to the first installment of yearly property taxes, the District’s money in the bank dips to around $15 million. So while the referendum wording says “without levying a separate, special property tax,” they will need to find money somewhere.
If you want to print something to share with neighbors, see: https://dupagewatchdog.org/2018/10/vote-no-flyers-to-print/
1. Is a new Jefferson a “need” or a “want”?
- The voters will decide.
- posted 10/28/2018: d200-pre-k-enrollment-cost/ (note: the grant programs for Head Start and the all-day Preschool Expansion grant (PEG) are not mandated.)
2. How much will it cost vs. renewal of the existing building?
- how-much-will-a-new-jefferson-really-cost/ ($15M construction, $23.8M project)
- jefferson-plan-b-facilities-master-plan/ (2018 plan, all school buildings)
- jefferson-plan-b-renewal/ (2007 plan)
- jefferson-what-needs-fixing/ (to bring i up to current code)
3. Can we afford it without raising taxes?
- 2014 cusd-200-will-always-be-in-debt/
4. Is it our top priority given that 18 out of the other 19 building have a total “need” of $87 million in capital renewal?
5. If all CUSD 200 bonds were paid off how much would our taxes go down?
- cusd200-raising-future-taxes-quietly/ (Based on my tax bill and some quick computations, if the CUSD 200 bond portion was taken off our bill, the total property tax bill would go down about 9%. It is currently scheduled to do that in the year 2026.)
- posted 10/31/2018: https://dupagewatchdog.org/2018/10/high-property-taxes-due-to-district-200-bond-debt/
6. What has the school board been prioritizing, by already approving the spending?
7. How much, and who is paying for all the “vote yes” PR?
8. Why do we suddenly have a referendum? Has the district been telling the whole story?
- posted 10/31/2018: https://dupagewatchdog.org/2018/10/whats-in-a-name-preschool-or-ecc/
originally posted 10/25/2018, updated 10/28/2018, & 10/31/2018