- Much of the investigation of the College of DuPage has been done by the “Edgar County Watchdogs.” Their website has posts going back to August 2014: http://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/category/college-of-dupage-2/
- Another group that has been attending COD board meeting, posting information and writing for the news meeting is “For the Good of Illinois” http://forthegoodofillinois.org/
- For background, listen to Adam Andrzejewski ‘s August 2014 public comments https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqfTScLGYrs This night the COD Board censured Kathy Hamilton.
- On January 15, COD made the front page of the Chicago Tribune “College of DuPage employed radio engineer despite theft conviction” http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/watchdog/ct-college-of-dupage-wdcb-radio-met-20150115-story.html#page=1
- The official COD Board meeting notices, minutes, etc. can be found on the COD Board of Trustees’ page. http://www.cod.edu/about/board_of_trustees/
COD board vote [ January regular COD Board Meeting]
On January 22, COD board voted to amend COD president Dr Breuder’s contract, giving Dr. Breuder a $762,868.77 Golden Parachute when he retires on March 31, 2016. We still did not know all the details. The details were not read into the record. The document was not available on line until a few hours after the vote. This violated the Open Meetings Act.
- Adam Andrzejewski ‘s public comments regarding Dr. Breuder’s buy out package – prior to the vote. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jDEt_7rfas&feature=youtu.be
- Watch how the discussion is squelched, transparency opposed, & how quickly the vote was called on the compensation package. Non-responsive lawyer answers regarding the pension question. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xkttu2YNn4c&feature=youtu.be
Media Coverage (January 22):
- Daily Herald http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150122/news/150129556/
- My Suburban Life http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2015/01/23/college-of-dupage-president-breuder-to-retire-in-2016-receive-760-000/ayzhlq4/
- Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/suburbs/glen-ellyn/ct-college-of-dupage-board-of-trustees-20150122-story.html#page=1
COD board [ January 28, Special Board Meeting]
Late on Monday, January 26, 2015 we discovered that a special meeting was to be held on Wednesday, January 28 for the purpose of re-voting the Addendum 4 to Dr. Breuder’s contract.
- Illinois Review posted that “For The Good of Illinois, Adam Andrzejewski, and Edgar County Watchdogs would file a lawsuit in DuPage County Circuit Court alleging that an Open Meetings Act (OMA) violation occurred while the board conferred the severance package for Dr. Breuder http://illinoisreview.typepad.com/illinoisreview/2015/01/breaking-for-the-good-of-illinois-to-file-lawsuit-tuesday-against-college-of-dupage-board-.html
- Wednesday afternoon the Watchdogs won one round, and COD was ordered to move the meeting to a larger space. http://edgarcountywatchdogs.com/2015/01/watchdogs-secure-temporary-restraining-order-against-college-of-dupage/
- Daily news http://www.dailynews724.com/local/judge-orders-college-of-dupage-meeting-moved-to-large-venue-h382423.html
The normal board room seat about 50, most of which have “reserve” signs on them during regular board meetings, leaving most of the public standing along the back or across the hall watching a video feed.
Talk radio, newspapers, facebook posts and emails told District 502 residents that a meeting would take place. And the community turned out.
The crowd overflowed the larger space – 300 chairs and standing room only along the side, the back and the balcony.
After almost two hours of public comment, giving the board plenty of reasons to vote “no” the board once again voted 6 -1 for the agreement that will give Dr. Breuder a $762,868 golden parachute when he retires in March 2016 and name the homeland security building after him.
- Adam Andrzejewski comments – one of the best overviews https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtCj1o3Gn8s
- NBC News http://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/Crowd-Voices-Dismay-at-College-of-DuPage-Presidents-Exit-Deal-290179461.html
- ABC news http://abc7chicago.com/education/college-of-dupage-trustees-approve-buyout-despite-community-outrage/495255/
- Dailey Herald http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20150128/news/150128678/
- Chicago Tribune http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/ct-college-of-dupage-president-buyout-revote-met-0129-20150128-story.html#page=1
Tying it all together,
- The Chicago Tribune has an article on Feb 6, 2015 which includes history and detail. http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-college-of-dupage-robert-breuder-tenure-20150206-story.html#page=1