On Aug 13, 2013 Governor Quinn signed HB1522, allowing DuPage County to enact a stormwater “utility fee” on all properties in the county. The fees, if enacted by the county, will have an adverse impact on property rights as well as being one more mandatory expense, with no guaranty of alleviating flooding.
- Fees would be placed on ALL properties in DuPage County including homes, businesses, schools, churches and the forest preserves.
- The fee-waiver system is designed to push property owners into installing and maintaining expensive green infrastructure on their property. Once installed, unelected county staff will have control of it and your property.
- Administering the new fee-waiver program will greatly increase the cost of storm water management.
- Granting fee-waivers could open the door for corruption.
- This new fee could be the largest tax increase in DuPage County history. Continue reading